The Jamaica Cultural Development Commission stages the annual Festival of the Perfoming Arts Competition to unearth, develop, and showcase the creative talents of Jamaicans from all walks of life. This cultural opportunity has benefitted many Jamaicans through training, exposure and recognition. The benefits derived enable participants to make worthwhile contributions to the creative and cultural industries, and building Brand Jamaica.
The subject areas covered in the Festival of the Performing Arts programme are :
- Dance (including Deaf Dance)
- Traditional Folk Form
These competitions add to the entertainment value and cultural showcase of most of the JCDC activities that are staged annually. These include:
- Jamaica Festival
- National Festival of the Arts Concert Series (formerly Best of Festival)
Come be a part of a tradition of excellence! show the world your creative talents and be recognized !
Ardenne High School 2010 Recipient of the Marcus Garvey Awards for Excellence in the Performing Arts. From L-R : Miss Johnnel Smith Miss Jamaica Festival Queen 2010, Drama Teacher Miss Suzanne Beadle , Mr. Jason Lovelace Teacher, and Miss Grace Silvera Excecutive Director (2010) stands with the winning school.
Past Winnersof the Marcus Garvey Awards for Excellence in the Performing Arts
- 1994- 2001 St. Jago High School
- 2002-2003 Clonmel Primary & Junior High
- 2004 Excelsior Community College
- 2005 St. Jago High School
- 2006 St. Jago High School
- 2007 St. Jagao High School
- 2008 Glenmuir High School
- 2009 Glenmuir High School